Thursday 18 July 2013

Fuzileers, Boyo!

Currently, most of my creative energies are being spent on churning out a unit of Perry's AWI Royal Welch Fusiliers. And trees. Lots of trees, but you'll see why in a minute.

Whilst not a period or subject I'm particulary interested in, I'd bought a pack about 6 years ago, as I was about to purchase the (then) new Mark Urban book, Fusiliers, and decided to pre-empt the inevitable immersion in the subject and desire to paint things from it, and get the figures in advance. However, much as I enjoyed the book, for once, I didn't really get the instant feeling of having to paint American War of Independence redcoats without delay. The net result being I painted two and a half of six, and they lay in the back of the display cabinet for years, despite being joined by a command pack obtained at Border Reiver the next year.

However....

Last month, I made a rare appearance at the local Wargames Club, as two mates and and the club leader were having a go at the Muskets and Tomahawks ruleset. The game went well, and with suitable prodding (Cheers Dave), I resolved to finish the Fusiliers, late though their AWI timeframe was for the French and Indian War setting nvolved, as if nothing else, it would be some badly needed reinforcements for the Brits, who had recieved something of a drubbing at the hands of Skulking Badger's French aligned Indians....

On the subject of whom, it was realised that what was also needed was even more trees for the Indians, militia and other sundry irregulars to really come into their own on the table and "play the period accurately" as it were. And thus, in addition to the bold Welshmen, some miniature forestry began to take shape in my workshop.

But enough of my drivel! On with the toys!

All 12. The chaps on the right were the original two painted about 6 years ago...


 Awaiting some Colours. A nice set of pre-printed paper ones from Flags of War await...

As usual, my photography (in this case on a phone, so I've got an excuse) isn't quite doing them justice, but you get the idea! I'll post up some more as they progress...

Cheers
Iain.

No comments:

Post a Comment